Prior to our departure for Tokyo, Japan, I was imagining all the delicious meals we would be eating. I was ready for sushi roll after sushi roll, noodle bowls and lots of tea.
While I was definitely accurate in these predictions, there were also a few surprises I was delighted to encounter:
- Coffee vs. Tea. There was as much fresh coffee as there was tea. I am an avid coffee drinker. I can’t remember the last morning I had without a cup (probably because I wasn’t thinking straight whenever that day occurred 😉 ). While I definitely enjoy a cup of hot tea in the afternoon, I don’t
need itmiss it like I do coffee. This was a very pleasant surprise during our trip!
- Ramen. I had NO idea Ramen Noodle Bowls would be such a popular meal, and that they would be SO incredibly fresh! I am now regretting that I wasted so many years not eating ramen, because I assumed it meant dried noodles in a package prepared with a packet of overly-salted seasoning. My, how I was wrong. We ate at several restaurants where the Ramen Noodles were prepared on-site, and they tasted as good as fresh pasta enjoyed in Italy!
- Runny Eggs. This was another common occurrence I was surprised to find on many menus. We saw burgers, noodle bowls and even pasta dishes that were topped with a runny egg. I started to realize how this can perfectly bring together many components of a meal, and add wonderful taste and texture to every bite with just a small amount of effort.
So, when I was trying to make a simple, yet healthy and filling meal, I remembered the key of adding a runny egg! Brown rice and broccoli topped with a poached egg made an ordinary meal into one that was much more fun and memorable to eat! Plus, attempting to eat rice with chop sticks always makes the meal more entertaining.
Broccoli Rice Bowl with Poached Egg
Keywords: saute entree vegetarian broccoli eggs rice Japanese
Ingredients (2 servings)
- 1 cup brown rice
- 4 tbs. low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbs. teriyaki sauce
- 1 tbs. sesame oil
- Ginger, to taste
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 1 tbs. sesame seeds
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp rice vinegar (optional)
- 3 scallions, chopped
1. Cook rice according to package directions. In small bowl, mix together soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, sesame oil and ginger; heat half of mixture in large saucepan over medium heat. Add broccoli and saute, 5-7 minutes, until broccoli is tender. Stir in remaining sauce and adjust to taste. Mix in sesame seeds.
2. Meanwhile, prepare the eggs. Heat pot of water to boiling, then reduce heat so that water is no longer boiling. Add rice vinegar to water. Crack 1 egg into a small bowl, then gently drop into water; use a spoon to gently nudge eggwhites closer to yolk. Repeat with remaining egg. Turn off heat, cover, and let sit for 4 minutes.
3. Place rice in bowl, top with broccoli and then remove poached egg with a slotted spoon and place on top. Repeat with remaining bowl. Top with chopped scallions. Serve and enjoy!
~What foods/meals have you been surprised by when traveling?