Spring is sooooo close! Sunny skies, windows open and afternoons spent outdoors…I can feel it just around the corner!
The forecast is finally starting to warm-up, and while I normally wouldn’t consider 45 degrees to be “warm,” I’m thrilled to see that number in the forecast! It’s all relative, right? 😉
Once spring hits, my taste buds completely change; I crave lighter foods, more vegetables and lots of salads. While mentally, I know spring is near, my body can completely tell that it’s still colder outside right now, as my meal plans still include plenty of soups, root vegetables and comfort meals.
So, I will try to play into the current weather limbo that we’re experiencing with a hearty “cold weather” salad. Hard-boiled eggs, croutons and parmesan over a bed of kale is the perfect way to fill-up on a chilly night, while dreaming about the warmer days that WILL come soon enough!
Kale and Egg Salad
Keywords: appetizer salad entree side vegetarian eggs kale winter
Ingredients (2 servings)
- 1 bunch kale, massaged; stems removed and roughly chopped
- 2 cups day-old cubed bread
- 2 tbs. olive oil
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, quartered
- 1/3 cup shaved parmesan cheese
- Dressing of choice
1. Divide massaged kale in half; place each half in separate bowls.
2. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375 degrees. Toss bread with olive oil, salt and pepper. Place on a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until golden brown and crispy. Set aside to cool.
3. Gently toss together kale, croutons, eggs, parmesan cheese and dressing. Serve and enjoy!
~What type of foods do you crave this time of year?