This time of year is busy. In light of all that has been happening, I am grateful beyond words to have my regular routines and holiday events to keep me busy. Whether you are spending extra time with loved ones this holiday season and/or picking-up extra shifts at the local retail store, we all have to find ways to squeeze in all the business during this time of year.
For many people (myself included), cooking an elaborate meal is often one of the first activities to be dropped in an effort to save time for something else. While I am 100% okay with taking shortcuts when necessary, I also know that I always feel my best when I’m eating healthy meals to balance the abundance of sweets I enjoy during this time of year. :)
This is a perfect, quick meal to enjoy on a busy night. It’s light, filling and takes less than 15 minutes to prepare. And an added bonus: it’s the perfect dish to enjoy before you savor Aunt Susie’s famous chocolate fudge. :)
For this meal, I used Mara’s Pasta I was sent to review. Mara’s Pasta is 100% whole wheat, 100% traceable from field to table (I love this!), grown by a network of US family farmers, and high in protein and fiber.
I was sent this beautiful box filled with spaghetti, penne and fettuccine pasta. I used the penne for this recipe and really enjoyed the freshness in every bite! I have been very impressed by the nutritional aspects of every box and it is obvious Mara’s Pasta takes great pride in what they do, using quality ingredients and taking great care in every step of the way! You can find their online shop here!
Spicy Pasta with Chickpeas and Spinach
Keywords: saute entree side vegetarian leafy greens chickpeas beans pasta
- 8 oz. whole wheat penne pasta
- 2 tbs. olive oil, plus optional 1 tbs. olive oil “drizzle”
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups spinach
- Salt and pepper
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup shredded parmesan
1. Cook pasta according to package directions, reserving 1/2 cup cooking water before draining.
2. When pasta is nearly done cooking, heat olive oil over medium-high heat in large skillet. Add garlic and cook 1 minute. Add chickpeas and cook 1-2 minutes, until heated evenly. Toss with cooked pasta, spinach, salt and pepper, red pepper flakes. If too dry, slowly add optional reserved cooking water and/or olive oil until desired consistency. Mix in parmesan cheese, serve and enjoy.
The great news is that Mara’s Pasta is offering to send their pasta to one Simply Life reader! To enter, do any/all of the following and let me know in the comments. Giveaway will be open through December 23; winner must have a U.S. address (no P.O. Boxes).
- Tell me how you would use Mara’s Pasta!
- Like Mara’s Pasta on Facebook
- Follow Mara’s Pasta on Twitter
- Follow Mara’s Pasta on Pinterest
- Join Mara’s Pasta email list
Disclaimer: Mara’s Pasta