Can I tell you a secret? I have never made my own salsa until this year. To be precise, I have never made my own salsa until my CSA share was overflowing with hot peppers every week throughout the months of September and October (and now you know how behind I am in posts- our CSA ended last week 🙁 )
For the last several weeks, I have been picking-up at least 5 hot peppers each time I went to the CSA. I’ve been adding them to everyday dishes like stir-fry, enchiladas and cheese fries, but still could not go through the amount I was bringing home weekly (partially because I’m a whimp when it comes to spicy foods).
So when a recent CSA share came with hot peppers and tomatillos, it was definitely time to make my own salsa! While I typically prefer chunky salsa, making it this way was incredibly simple and I loved the flavor the tomatillos added!
Keywords: appetizer side snack vegetarian vegan tomato Mexican Southwest fall
- About 10 tomatillos
- 1 medium tomato
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 tbs. lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and diced
- Salt, to taste
1. Remove papery husks from tomatillos and rinse well. Cut tomatillos in half and place cut side down on a baking sheet lined with foil.
2. Place in broiler for about 5-7 minutes, until lightly blackened. Place cooked tomatillos with remaining ingredients in blender or food processor and pulse until all ingredients are finely chopped. Cool for at least 30 minutes then serve and enjoy!
I paired this salsa with the Black Bean Chips I received to review from Beanitos. The mild Black Bean flavor perfectly complemented the HOT (in my opinion) salsa! Plus, these chips are nice and sturdy, which make them the perfect dipping chip!
The other flavors I was sent to review were: Chipotle BBQ, Cheddar Cheese, and Pinto Bean & Flax. So far, I’ve really been enjoying all the flavors. The Cheddar Cheese is made with real cheddar cheese and is surprisingly spicy. The Pinto Bean & Flax is my favorite so far- it has a lot of flavor but without the heat (like I said, I’m a whimp when it comes to spicy foods)!
Beanitos are always free of corn, wheat, soy, potato, trans fat, and cholesterol; they are also non-GMO, gluten free, certified low glycemic & kosher! I am definitely impressed chips that are made from beans and feel much healthier snacking on these rather than other alternatives!
And now the great news is, you get to try Beanitos too! One lucky reader will win ONE CASE of Beanitos! Giveaway will be open through October 29; winner must live in the U.S. or Canada.
To enter, do any/all of the following and let me know in the comments:
1. Pin Beanitos on Pinterest
2. Tell me how you would enjoy Beanitos!
3. Tweet this giveaway! (Ex: Win @Beanitos on @SimplyLifeBlog! #giveaway )