I hope everyone has been staying safe with Hurricane Sandy and the crazy weather we’ve been having!
I know that personally, weather is one thing that makes me anxious. Actually, let me be specific: driving in bad weather makes me anxious. There are so many things that are completely out of my control when on the road with other drivers and in less than ideal weather conditions, so I like to play it as safe as possible.
Thankfully, in our area, we weren’t affected by the storm too much. This just meant rain, wind and extra time spent at home, with no where to go. After I felt safe knowing where the flashlights were, it meant that all I wanted to do was sip hot coffee and bake bread.
Baking, and then of course, eating, these cheesy bread rolls completely relieved any of my anxieties about the weather. I’m not sure if it’s the healthiest coping skill out there, but these are like pure comfort that fits right in the palm of your hand. Just imagine biting into a fresh-baked bread roll, to find melted cheese in the middle. It really doesn’t get better than that.
I was sent these two types of cheese from Cabot Creamery: Jalapeno Light and Sharp Light. Both varieties have 50% less fat than sharp cheddar cheese and are definitely still full of flavor! I used the Sharp Light in these rolls and really enjoyed its mild, fresh flavor. This goes well with so many dishes and is also great eaten on its own!
I have been a huge fan of Cabot Creamery since I first tried it and made this Cheddar, Beer and Mustard Pull-Apart Bread. Cabot Creamery is a co-op, owned and operated by its members, who are farmers and their families. It is the first dairy cooperative to achieve certification as a “B Corporation,” which includes recognition for their attention to environmental and social impact. They sell cheese, yogurt, dips and more!
Cheesy Bread Rolls
Adapted from Yammie’s Noshery
Keywords: bake appetizer bread side vegetarian cheese
Ingredients (12 rolls)
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 tbs. yeast
- 2 tbs. sugar
- 1.5 tsp. garlic powder
- 4 tbs. melted butter
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbs. olive oil
- 1.5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1.5 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- About 4-6 oz. Sharp Cheddar cheese
1. Mix together yeast and water and let it sit 5 minutes. Add the sugar, garlic powder, melted butter, and 1/4 cup oil and mix together. Slowly add in both types of flour flour, using dough hook of stand mixer, or kneading with your hands. Add the salt and knead for 8-10 minutes.
2. Place dough in lightly greased bowl and cover with a cloth; let rest for 30 minutes.
3. Preheat the oven to 375º. Divide the dough into about 12 pieces (more or less depending on preferred size and quantity).
4. Cut cheese into 3/4 inch square pieces. Place one slice of cheese in center or roll and pinch all sides around it to make sure it is sealed in.
( *Thank you to my husband for being my hand model )
5. Place rolls, pinched side down, on a greased baking sheet. Lightly brush remaining olive oil on outside of rolls. Bake for 11-15 minutes, until golden brown. Serve and enjoy!
~Does bad weather make you nervous? Were you affected by Hurricane Sandy?