A new school year has begun. The temperature has dropped. Leaves are falling to the ground.
Fall is officially just around the corner.
And with that, comes a whole new motivation to stay inside, baking muffins and breads from scratch, while finally reading the books I’ve been meaning to pick-up for months.
I don’t know about you, but I am welcoming the mid-70′s weather, crisp mornings and cool evening breezes with open arms.
When we recently picked-up our CSA to find several jalapeno peppers, I immediately knew it would be perfect paired with the lone beer waiting to be enjoyed in the fridge. We served this with a hearty soup, but I am imagining it with heaping bowls of chili, taco night or a fun finger-food to have during the next game day.
Jalapeño Beer Cornbread
Keywords: bake appetizer side bread vegetarian Super Bowl
Ingredients (18 small muffins)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup beer
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 2 tablespoons oil (I used avocado oil but olive or vegetable would work)
- 1 corn ear kernels, about 3/4 cup
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. In a bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt. Set aside.
2. In a separate bowl, stir together eggs, milk, beer, jalapeño, and oil. Add egg mixture to flour mixture, stirring until just incorporated. Stir in corn (slowly add extra beer, if needed, to add moisture).
3. Spray muffin tins with cooking spray. Place about 1/4 cup batter in each muffin tin. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove cornbread from oven and let cool in pan for 10 to 15 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
I recently received this Gluten-Free Bread Mix and Gluten-Free Italian Herb Coating from Namaste Foods, and of course, went right for the bread mix! I wasn’t kidding when I told you I’ve been craving homemade breads and muffins already.
The recipe is fairly simple and straight-forward. For anyone intimidated by making bread from scratch, this is a great starting point! Everything is already measured our for you and all you have to do is add the liquid ingredients (eggs, oil and water). I added about 1 tsp. of dried rosemary to the mix just for added flavor.
The texture of the bread was soft and fluffy; exactly what you want homemade bread to be! The flavor was very mild so it will pair well with most meals and is the perfect bread for dipping into soups!
Namaste Foods contain no wheat, gluten, corn, soy, potato, dairy, casein, peanuts or tree nuts. In addition to the items I received, they also offer plenty of other products like pancake mix, brownie mix, pasta meals and more!