As part of the Let’s Doodle Lunch partnership, Chef Ann Cooper, “The Renegade Lunch Lady,” created a list of 10 tips for healthier school lunches. These tips include:
- Use a Bento style lunch box with numerous compartments for lots of delicious flavors.
- Go shopping with your kids in the produce section of the grocery store and let them help pick out
- Let your kids help make their lunch; let them add condiments to a sandwich or allow them to mix dried fruit and nuts for trail mix.
- Pack dips with fruits and vegetables for fun flavorful eating.
- Aim for the rainbow: make sure there are a variety of colors in your child’s lunch.
- Eat lunch with your child at school so you really know what’s being served.
- Become familiar with the school district’s wellness policy and gather like-minded parents to let the school board know you want healthier food.
- Volunteer in your school’s cafeteria, then try and work with and support the nutrition services director to create healthier food options.
- Help raise funds to get a salad bar in the cafeteria.
- Work with the school to institute 30 minute lunch periods with recess before lunch
Personally, I don’t have children and am always so impressed at the many ways parents get creative to make sure their children are eating healthy meals!
In addition to these helpful tips, I am now thrilled to be able to offer you a Rudi’s Let’s Doodle Lunch giveaway! The giveaway includes: an art pack with an art kit, a sketch pad, a beret, a reusable bag and 2 product coupons! This is perfect if you’re looking for new art projects for the remainder of summer or already thinking about going back to school art supplies!
To enter, simply leave a comment telling me what you do for yourself and/or your family to ensure you/they are eating healthy lunches!
Giveaway will be open until August 5.
P.S. You definitely don’t have to have kids to enter! I would completely enter to win this for myself if I could!