I love to cook. I fantasize about what my next meal will be during my morning commute. I am immediately drawn to the cookbook section upon entering a book store. My free time is happily spent perusing food blogs, Tastespotting, and flipping through food magazines.
I also work full-time, have errands to run, phone calls to make and
tickets to pay
So while I place a high value on home-cooked meals, I also know that sometimes, a little shortcut is necessary to make this happen. And I am definitely okay with this.
If you’re looking to make this completely from scratch, I would recommend following this whole wheat pie crust. If you’re looking to prioritize a *mostly* home-cooked meal, I would recommend picking-up pie crust (I found in the freezer section of Whole Foods), along with whatever seasonal produce is calling your attention.
This quiche is completely adaptable to whatever veggies and/or meat you’re in the mood for. You can keep it simple, with shredded cheddar cheese, or dress it up by mixing in gruyere. I chose both.
Cheddar Gruyere Vegetable Quiche
Keywords: bake breakfast brunch entree side vegetarian eggs cheese tomato olives
Ingredients (8 pieces)
- Pie crust
- Pie weights (I used coffee beans, you can also use dried beans)
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 1/4 milk
- 1 garlic scape (or clove), chopped
- 1 tbs. fresh chopped basil
- About 10 cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/3 cup black olives, sliced
- 1/3 cup scallions, chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded gruyere cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350. Top pie crust with foil then fill with pie weights. Bake for about 15 minutes. Remove foil and weights and let cool.
2. Whisk together eggs, salt, pepper and milk in large bowl. Stir in garlic and basil. Gently mix in remaining ingredients. Slowly pour into pie crust. Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake additional 10-15 minutes until golden brown. Serve and enjoy!
Using random.org the winner of Cocomo Joe Foods is Madeline!
Don’t forget to enter to win PB Crave!!!
~What are your favorite cooking shortcuts?