I know, I know, it’s the time we’ve been waiting for all year. The heat is here, summer is on its way and we want to be thinking about trips to the beach and eating outside.
What we don’t want to think about is a hot bowl of soup.
BUT! Maybe it’s air conditioned where you work and you end up being cold for 8 hours a day (I will never get this)! Maybe it’s actually is chilly where you live! Maybe you’re thinking about trips to the beach and wanting to eat something that will help you feel great about wearing that swimsuit!
See, now we’re talking.
My favorite way to each lentils is in soup and I actually ended up making this twice in one week (which is unheard of in our house!) because we just couldn’t get enough.
The soup is light, yet also incredibly filling. The ingredient list is short, simple and full of inexpensive ingredients. This makes the perfect leftovers for lunch throughout the week. You just can’t go wrong.
We enjoyed this with the second half of the dough from this Whole Wheat Poppy Seed Loaf. It was a meal I will definitely be repeating throughout the entire year!
Vegetable and Lentil Soup
Keywords: entree soup/stew vegetarian vegan lentils beans
- 2 tbs. olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 potato, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 celery stalks, sliced
- Oregano, to taste
- Parsley, to taste
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup red lentils
- 2 scallions, chopped
1. Heat oil in large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook 4 minutes. Add potatoes and cook additional 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in carrots, celery and seasonings.
2. Add broth and bring to a boil. Reduce hit and simmer. Add lentils and simmer gently with pot partially covered until desired tenderness, about 18-20 minutes. Serve in bowls, top with scallions and enjoy!
~What meals do you eat throughout the year?