I work a full-time job. Most nights I come home from work excited to cook. I know that for many people. after a long day, the last thing they want to do is come home and have more “work” to do.
However, I don’t see cooking as work at all. It’s a part of my day I look forward to time and time again. Sure, there are some nights that I would rather have someone else do the cooking and a plate of warm food just appear in front of me, but to be honest, those days are far and few between.
Cooking is my time to unwind from the day. I put on a Pandora station, take out my ingredients and zone out while I add a splash of this and a sliver of that.
With all that said, even though I do enjoy cooking the vast majority of the time, there are still plenty of times I want a quick meal to prepare. Less time cooking often means more time that my husband and I can linger at the dinner table talking about our days.
This meal is easy to prepare and comes together well under 30 minutes. With just a few simple ingredients and a little bit of time, you too can make sure to save extra time for sitting around the table with your loved ones.
We enjoyed this with and without parmesan cheese on top. Both ways are recommended.
Linguini with White Beans and Sun-Dried Tomatoes
Keywords: saute entree vegetarian vegan tomato pasta nuts beans Mediterranean
- Whole wheat linguini
- 2 tbs. olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbs. sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 15 oz. can white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup sliced black olives
- 2 tbs. slivered almonds
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- Juice from 1/2 a lemon
- Oregano, to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 scallions, chopped
- Parmesan shards (optional)
1. Cook pasta according to package directions, reserving 1/4 cup cooking water. Meanwhile, in large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds. Stir in sun-dried tomatoes and beans and cook about 2 minutes, until heated through. Add almonds, red pepper flakes, lemon juice, oregano, salt and pepper and mix together. Slowly add reserved cooking water (optional) until desired consistency.
2. Serve mixture over pasta, top with scallions and parmesan cheese, and enjoy!
~Do you enjoy cooking most days?